Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 10 visit to Five Mile Pass



horned toad short-horned lizard
Horned Toad (Short-horned lizard)
Horned Toad (Short-horned lizard)
On our second visit to Five Mile Pass, we parked on the west side of the parking area and headed west then south on a graded rocky road. A horned toad ran across the road in front of me and hid under a tiny sagebrush. We slowly moved the sagebrush aside and took this picture of our little friend. I read that horned toads can ward off predators by puffing up their bodies which makes their spikes become more pronounced and some species can squirt blood from their eyes up to 3 feet to surprise their predators. I also read that horned toads are becoming more rare because of loss of habitat. I believe this is the first time I've ever seen one.



wild buckwheat eriogonum ovalifolium
Wild Buckwheat









Wild Buckwheat? (Eriogonum ovalifolium)
We traveled to the higher elevations of the foothills and ate lunch near these wildflowers. I think I labeled them correctly. If not, will you leave a comment and correct me?


red Indian Paintbrush Castilleja
Indian Paintbrush











Indian Paintbrush (Castilleja)
These little bright red flowers were attention-getting. They were down in the lower altitude trails.


white wildflower mountain phlox phlox diffusa
Mountain Phlox










Mountain Phlox? (Phlox diffusa)
These were tiny 1/2 inch flowers hugging the ground, also in the higher foothill areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment